The Corinth Canal

The Corinth Canal
The famous Corinth Canal is the absolute landmark of our Municipality which separates the Peloponnese from mainland Greece and connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf.

The Corinth Canal, though only completed in the late 19th century, was an idea and dream that’s dates back over 2000 thousand years. Several rulers in antiquity dreamed of digging a cutting through the Isthmus. The first to propose such an undertaking was the tyrant Periander in the 7th century BC. However the technical capabilities in ancient times made his idea impossible to implement. Instead, he developed the “Diolkos”, which served the purpose of carrying ships in a wheeled vehicle and transferred them from one side to the other. The remnants of the Ancient Diolkos still remain intact in the area.

The concept of the canal opening was revived again during the late 1800’s. Aer several years and many tryouts, the Corinth Canal was finally completed and started operations on the 25th of April, 1893.

The remnants of the Ancient Diolkos still remain intact in the area.